How to Contribute
Are you a current or former sex worker or someone who has experienced trading sex for money, food, housing, drugs, hormones, and/or other survival needs? We want to hear from you! Please submit your work on a sheet of paper 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ (ex. half a sheet of letter size paper) with quarter inch margins, full color (or black and white, high contract) page to our zine project. Please do not fold the paper if possible. Include on a separate page (either attached with a paper clip or leave unattached) your name (does not need to be your legal name), age, email address and/or phone number, and a mailing address should you wish to receive a copy if your page is makes it in the final project. Please state how, if at all, you wish to be credited for your work. (ex. Sparkley Stacey, John Doe, Anonymous in India, etc.) Be creative! Use pens, markers, collage, glitter, what ever way you wish to express yourself! You can use text or images alone or together. You can submit up to five pages but we will probably only be able to print one page per person. Your original materials will not be returned to you.
Your submission must be postmarked by May 1, 2011.
Can allies contribute?
We will consider submissions by allies! If you are an ally, friend, family member, child, parent, or partner of a sex worker, your story and advice is also valuable! Please consider submitting a page to the zine and please note if you are an ally with your submission.
Submissions by E-Mail
You can submit your piece by email if you are able (for example, created in PhotoShop or if it is scanned) at 300dpi resolution. Please email to: sarahjenny(at)gmail(dot)com.
Submissions by Mail
Mail your submission to:
4th Floor, ITP
New York, NY 10003 USA
Prompts & Ideas for Submissions
- Your techniques for self-care, ex. bubble bath, cooking a good meal, playing with your dog, etc.
- Techniques for harm reduction, ex. getting tested regularly, tips for screening clients, strategies for staying safe, etc.
- How To Be An Ally To Sex Workers
- Tips for Partners of Sex Workers – how to be supportive, how to decide whether or not to come out to a partner, etc.
- Illustrate your favorite work outfit
- Illustrate your favorite outfit in general!
- What does a bad day at work feel like? How do you cope? What would you like to see change?
- Illustrate and write about what sex work is like in your city, region, or country.
- Illustrate and write about what you imagine ideal working conditions to be like — ex. decriminalization, health care, etc.
- Tell us about your sex worker community!
- A list of your favorite support resources, books, magazines, and organizations
- Anything else you wish to add!